Recipe Index

Friday, July 25, 2014

Cake Fridays

When our oven was finally fixed, my daughter requested vanilla cupcakes with purple frosting.  I was overjoyed to make them for her, especially after my 2 week forced vacation from baking.  The cupcake base is my tried and true vanilla cupcake recipe that I always use but with a twist.  I had lemon creme Oreos in the pantry and knew I wanted to make blueberry flavored frosting to achieve that purple color.  I figured the combination of blueberry and lemon would be superb and it was!
I placed paper liners in 15 muffin cups and dropped a lemon creme Oreo in the bottom of each one.  Then I plopped the vanilla cupcake batter over top.  While those baked in the new oven, I made the frosting: 

1/2 C fresh blueberries
1 T water
1 stick soft butter
2 C powdered sugar

Cook blueberries and water in a saucepan over medium high heat until blueberries start to soften, about 2 minutes.  Use a potato masher to break them down.  Stirring often, simmer a few more minutes until it thickens.  Take it off the heat and let cool.  When cool, add the puree to a stand mixer with the butter and sugar.  Whip until thick and creamy.  Now you are ready to frost your cupcakes and garnish each one with lemon creme Oreo pieces.


FYI: This frosting tends to spread so after I dressed my cupcakes, I refrigerated them until service.  Enjoy :)

Frosting recipe slightly adapted from here.   

No comments:

Post a Comment