Recipe Index

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Buttermilk Caramel Syrup

Real maple syrup is expensive at the food store, so I am forced to stuff my purse with the cute maple syrups from Cracker Barrel!  I've been trying out recipes to make maple syrup at home to offset the cost and artificial ingredients found in cheaper syrups on the market.  My first attempt went well.  I made it with water, sugar and maple extract.  It tasted great but it was very runny.  It tightened up only slightly after being refrigerated. 

This is my second attempt...

As always, my buttermilk obsession continues and I have moved into the realm of buttermilk caramel syrup.  Just the name makes me think of a sweet, tangy, creamy syrup to drizzle over weekend pancakes, weeknight waffles and that daily bowl of ice cream (any flavor will do).  This recipe is simple and foolproof, leaving you with a ton of syrup that will last for months (big money saver).  It's not as runny as my first attempt but it did separate in the fridge.  I imagine heating it on the stove will bring it back to life.  Overall, I think it's a keeper :)   

FYI: I added 2/3 C sugar and 2/3 C brown sugar.  I followed Cara's lead (check out her blog) by adding 1/4 C butter instead of a whole stick.  It turned out great!  I had to let it cool for several hours on the counter before the foam settled but the finished product is worth the wait.
A few seconds after adding the baking soda and vanilla extract
Be sure to use a big pot because it foams up a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment