Recipe Index

Monday, September 2, 2013

Cuts Like a Knife!





The possibilities are endless with this kid friendly recipe.  You can use mashed sweet potatoes, carrots, butternut squash, applesauce or pureed baby food of choice.  Lately, I've been substituting mashed avocado for the butter and using white whole wheat flour instead of all purpose flour.  Taking little steps can change the health benefits of any baked good, which is what I try to do when I know the kids will be eating these by the half dozen!     

I sometimes double the recipe and freeze a batch.  Otherwise I feel like I'm making these all the time!  Seriously though, I don't know what I'd do without this recipe.  We pack these biscuits on car trips, bring them on our way to preschool in the morning, or just have them as a snack after lunch and dinner with some butter.  They are so versatile and so yummy :)  

Sweet potato biscuits

¾ C mashed sweet potatoes
6 T butter, melted and cooled
¼ C brown sugar, packed
½ C milk or water
2 C flour
1 ½ t baking powder

In large bowl, combine sweet potatoes, butter and brown sugar.  Stir in milk and blend until smooth.  Sift dry ingredients together and add to sweet potato mixture.  Mix just until incorporated.  Use a small ice cream scooper (1 ½ inch) and make drop biscuits.  Place one inch apart on lightly greased baking sheets.  Bake at 400 degrees for 9 ½ minutes.  Makes about 30 small biscuits. 

No comments:

Post a Comment