Recipe Index

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

5 More Days...

until Fall!  Can you tell I'm excited?!  If not, see my older posts :)  I just can't wait to take a jog with the double stroller and not end up a sweaty mess.  I also can't wait to dress the kids in new clothes.  Been looking at the same t-shirts and shorts for months now.  Overall, I'm just eager for a much needed reprieve from a hot Carolina summer.

Autumn makes me think of pumpkins, soups and crispy leaves.  So today I am featuring one of my favorite bread recipes.  It comes from my husband's side of the family and it is one of those recipes that never gets old. I've even turned my family onto it!  I make this bread year round but it is especially good during the Fall season.

The first time I made this bread I remember marveling at the batter, of all things!  You have to treat it with a delicate hand and the end product is so smooth and silky.  I was used to thicker batters where you just throw everything in but this recipe requires a few steps and careful mixing.  It is so worth it!  Not that it's hard to make by any means but I tend to take my time and baby it a little bit during preparation.  I've never ever changed this recipe and will never ever change it because it is perfect just the way it is!


Pumpkin Bread

10 tbsp softened butter
3 C flour
2 tsp baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp salt
2 ½ C sugar
4 eggs
2 C pumpkin (1 can of “one pie”)
½ C water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Use 2 tbsp butter to grease two loaf pans and sprinkle pans with flour.  Sift together flour, soda, powder, cinnamon, cloves and salt in a small bowl.  Set aside.  In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat 8 tbsp butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Beat in eggs one at a time.  Stir in pumpkin.  Add, alternating, 1 C flour mixture then 2 tbsp water, beating well after each addition.  Bake 50-60 minutes. 

    

No comments:

Post a Comment