Recipe Index

Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thanksgiving Swedish Apple Pie

 
Traditional Thanksgiving desserts include pumpkin pie, apple pie and pecan pie.  We always serve the first two after our yearly feast.  The past few years, I've been bringing the apple pie.  When I know I have to make a pie, I panic.  I am much more comfortable developing cakes, muffins, quick breads, etc.  I marvel at the ability some people have to generate a delicious, flaky crust with the perfect amount of filling because in the past, my crust has been tasteless and tough, while my filling is too runny.  So this year to play it safe, I created a Swedish apple pie.  You slice the apples super thin, pour them into a pie plate and smooth the batter over top.  So it is more like a cake than a pie.  I know, I know it's not a traditional Thanksgiving dessert but it was either make this or buy pie dough at the food store.  I thought I should at least bring something homemade to the table since I am dubbed the family baker :)

Here is the recipe:

Cream together:
1.5 sticks melted butter
2 eggs
1 C sugar
2 t vanilla

Slowly incorporate 2 C flour.  Mix until smooth.

In another bowl, mix:
4 apples (peeled and sliced)
1/2 C sugar
cinnamon to liking

Put seasoned apples in a 9 inch pie plate.  Pour batter over top.  Bake at 375 degrees for 35-45 minutes until fork/toothpick comes out clean in center.         

No comments:

Post a Comment