Recipe Index

Friday, November 15, 2013

Cake Fridays

I started the week off with gingerbread baked oatmeal and I am ending the week with gingerbread cupcakes.  I didn't plan it that way either!  I had my heart set on making chocolate chip cookies yesterday but my son requested gingerbread cake!  So that's what we mixed up.  The recipe is fairly simple.  I only added a 1/4 C of molasses because of its strong flavor, and I used 1/2 C of applesauce instead of shortening.  I like to use applesauce in spice cake recipes because it brings out the flavors and aromas of the spices themselves.  I also baked the cupcakes for 17 minutes and decorated them before baking (see pictures below).  They remind me of mini fruitcakes!  So feel free to follow my lead or the lead of the recipe featured.  But always remember to have fun in the kitchen and reward yourself at the end of every week with a sweet treat :)

Gingerbread
Source: Better Homes and Gardens

1.5 C flour
3/4 t ground cinnamon
3/4 t ground ginger
1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 C shortening
1/4 C packed brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 C mild-flavored molasses

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease 9x1.5 inch round cake pan.  Set aside.  In a bowl, sift together flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking powder and soda.  Set aside.  In large mixing bowl, beat shortening with electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds.  Add brown sugar and beat until fluffy.  Add egg and molasses.  Beat 1 minute.  Alternately add flour mixture and 1/2 C water to shortening mixture, beating on low speed after each addition until combined.  Pour batter into prepared pan.  Bake for 35-40 min. or until toothpick comes out clean.  Cool for 30 min. in pan on wire rack.  Serve warm.


No comments:

Post a Comment