Recipe Index

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Chocolate and Orange Sandwich Cookies

 
Lately, I've been craving orange scented desserts.  I think I'm remembering that chocolate orange ball that arrives during the holiday season.  You know, the one that you smack on the table and it breaks into segments, resembling a chocolate covered orange.  Something about chocolate and orange together...

I am also on a citrus kick.  For Cake Fridays, I'll be making lemon cornmeal cake.  I might even try to sneak in a lime flavored dessert midweek.  Gosh, I wish I had citrus trees in my backyard.  Might have to move to Florida :)

But until then, I made these cookies and they are divine.  Perfectly fudgy and chewy, a cross between a cookie and a brownie.  I left out the filling because the cookies have the perfect hint of orange essence but if I were bringing these to a cookie exchange, I would whip it up.  Now that's a sandwich I can get behind!


Chocolate & Orange Sandwich Cookies
8 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
1/3 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. baking powder
pinch of salt
2 eggs
1/2 c. sugar
Grated zest of 1 orange

Filling: 
6 tbsp. butter
1 c. powdered sugar
Grated zest of an orange and juice of 1 orange

Preheat your oven to 350.  Melt the chocolate and let cool slightly.  Whisk in the sugar, eggs, and orange zest.  Stir in the dry ingredients.  Spoon small amounts of dough onto a greased baking sheet.  Bake for 10 minutes-check for firmness.  Cool.
Beat the filling ingredients together.  Spread on a cookie and sandwich with another cookie.

Source: Life by Jill Marie


         

No comments:

Post a Comment