Recipe Index

Friday, June 12, 2015

Cake Fridays


Much like my chocolate ribbon banana loaf, this recipe for blueberry and cheese streusel has been on my to-bake list for years.  I finally made it and can't believe how tasty it is.  I will be making it again very soon!

The bottom cake layer is moist and buttery with traces of blueberry juices soaked into it.  The ricotta layer is creamy and rich, complimenting the tart blueberries perfectly.  Then you reach the crumb topping.  Who doesn't love a thick, hearty crumb topping?!  The toasted pecans mixed with the spicy cinnamon and sweet brown sugar put this dessert over the top.  Add a dollop of whipped cream or ice cream (vanilla or chocolate, whatever you fancy) and your taste buds will be dancing with excitement.

This cake has a few steps and a lengthy ingredient list, but it is absolutely divine and worth the effort.  If you choose to make it my way, it has a sunny, citrusy kick that sings spring.

Blueberry and Cheese Streusel
Source: Gooseberry Patch

2 1/3 C flour
1 1/3 C sugar
2 t baking powder
1 t salt
3/4 C butter or margarine, cut into pieces
3/4 C milk (I used room temperature orange juice instead)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 t vanilla extract
1 C fresh blueberries (I used frozen blueberries)
1 C ricotta cheese
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 T sugar (I omitted this)
1 T grated lemon rind (I added 1 t orange extract instead)
1/2 C chopped pecans
1/3 C brown sugar, packed
1 t cinnamon

Combine first five ingredients with a pastry blender or 2 knives until crumbly (I used my Ninja big blender). Set aside one cup crumb mixture.

Add milk, 2 eggs and vanilla to remaining crumb mixture.  Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer 2 minutes.  Pour batter into a lightly greased 13"x9" pan; layer blueberries over batter (I rinsed my frozen blueberries to thaw them and then blotted them with a paper towel so they wouldn't bleed into the batter). Combine ricotta cheese, one egg, 2 T sugar (if using) and lemon rind (if using).  Spoon over blueberries, spreading mixture to cover blueberries.  Stir together reserved crumb mixture, pecans, brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over cheese mixture.

Bake at 350 degrees for 50-52 minutes (mine baked for 40 minutes) or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Makes 16 servings.


No comments:

Post a Comment