Recipe Index

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Red Velvet Pancakes

Third installment in the buttermilk project: red velvet pancakes.

If you're looking for an easy, uncomplicated recipe for homemade pancakes, you've come to the right place.  These are the pancakes to try.  I always reach for Bisquick when making pancakes, but having buttermilk in the house inspired me to make these for the kids this morning.  Buttermilk has changed my life!  Well, maybe just a little bit.  I'm definitely proud of myself for getting out of the baking mix rut this once but what I still need to work on is my flipping ability.  Maybe that will be my New Year's resolution...


Red Velvet Pancakes/Waffles
Source: Pinterest

1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tbsp baking cocoa
4 tsp sugar
1-1/2 tsp baking power
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1-1/4 cups buttermilk
1 tbsp red food coloring (optional, I skipped it since I didn't have natural coloring on hand)
1-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup melted butter
*Optional*  maple syrup, butter, whipped cream cheese, sprinkles

Directions

In a bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, mix eggs, buttermilk, food coloring and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients and mix well. Fold in melted butter. Using an ice cream scoop, drop batter onto a lightly greased, hot griddle and cook until edges darken, about 5 minutes. Add sprinkles if desired.  Flip and cook until done. Serve topped with syrup and butter or whipped cream cheese. Makes one dozen pancakes.

Surefire way to make uniform pancakes

Sizzling on the griddle

I made plain and sprinkle pancakes


No comments:

Post a Comment