Recipe Index

Sunday, December 15, 2013

Chocolate Gingersnaps


When I came across this recipe, I thought it was so interesting and unique.  I had never heard of balsamic vinegar and black pepper in a cookie!  This must be one flavor explosion!  I have always been intrigued by crystallized ginger too.  So I figured this was the cookie to try.  Boy, was I right!  With cinnamon, cloves, molasses, cocoa powder, and double the ginger, you have your spices covered along with a healthy dose of chocolate notes.  At first I wasn't sure about pairing chocolate and ginger together but after my second cookie, I was sold.    

I refrigerated the dough before baking (overnight, but I'm sure a few hours will do).  I also used regular sized chocolate chips but next time may opt for the mini ones.  Being the same size as the ginger chips, the mini chocolate chips would create a more evenly distributed, uniform dough.  I rolled the cookies in regular sugar by habit but if you have course sugar, I would use that.  It would be sure to compliment their presentation and add that crunch factor everyone seeks in a gingersnap cookie.


Chocolate Gingersnaps
  • ½ cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • ¼ cup molasses
  • 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • ¼ cup cocoa powder
  • 1½ tsp baking soda
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • 1 tsp ginger
  • ½ tsp cinnamon
  • ¼ tsp ground cloves
  • ¼ tsp black pepper
  • 2 cups flour
  • ⅓ cup chopped semi-sweet chocolate or mini chips
  • ⅓ cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
  • ⅓ cup coarse sugar
  1. Cream butter and sugar for 2-3 minutes, until light and fluffy.
  2. Add egg, molasses, vinegar, and vanilla. Mix well.
  3. In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients. Add dry ingredients slowly to wet mixture. Mix just until incorporated.
  4. Finely dice ginger pieces. Fold ginger and chocolate into dough.
  5. Roll into 1-inch balls and roll in coarse sugar. Place on baking sheet.
  6. Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
  7. Allow to cool before storing in an airtight container.  Makes 4 dozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment