Recipe Index

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Healthy Chocolate Banana Muffins



I like to experiment with recipes in an attempt to make them healthier.  So when the kids were begging me for double chocolate banana muffins (see Saturday, Sept. 21st post) and I was out of chocolate chips, I figured this was the perfect opportunity.

Here are some of my tricks:

Substitute applesauce or Greek yogurt for butter, oil or eggs
Double up on vanilla extract to decrease the amount of sugar in a recipe
Substitute mashed avocado or banana for butter
Cut out semi sweet morsels

When you eat dessert everyday, it will do your body good to cut down on the fat and calories once in awhile.  I don't normally change tried and true recipes but desperate times call for desperate measures.  I left out the chocolate chips making these just chocolate banana muffins and used white whole wheat flour.  They turned out great!  The kids have been enjoying them for breakfast or a quick snack.  Less messy without the chocolate chips too.  I bet you could even substitute applesauce for all the oil.

Happy Baking :)

No comments:

Post a Comment