Recipe Index

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Roasted Strawberry Buttermilk Cake Update

At the close of the day, it is time to reflect on the dessert.  I made the highly anticipated roasted strawberry buttermilk cake (see Friday's post for recipe).  With only 1/2 C sugar, it was not overly sweet.  It was moist and slightly dense, reminiscent of a pound cake.

Next time I make this cake, I am going to double the roasted strawberry recipe.  That was my favorite part, and there were just not enough balsamic maple fruity gems atop this cake!  I liked having the remaining strawberries to drizzle over top but I might add all of them to the cake before baking next time because there were not enough to go around at tasting time.

The roasted strawberry recipe did give me an idea though.  I want to start making jellies and jams.  I am not a huge fan of jellied fruits but when they are fresh and loose like these strawberries, I can't get enough of them!  I am planning to make more with the rest of our strawberries and can't wait to spread some on a piece of toast with cream cheese or butter or peanut butter.  My mouth is watering just thinking about it!  All in all, this cake is great for non chocolate lovers and those who can't consume a lot of sugar.  Be sure to make this cake with the reddest, juiciest, most succulent strawberries and serve it with whipped cream and/or ice cream.          

No comments:

Post a Comment