Recipe Index

Thursday, June 26, 2014

Stuffed, Baked Apples

I had every intention of making this cake but when I saw we had a surplus of apples in the fridge, I decided to halve the chocolate-peanut butter streusel recipe and stuff some fruit.  This was a new adventure for me, since I've never stuffed and baked apples before.  I think next time I will use either golden delicious or macintosh.  The galas I used were just OK and tasted more like pears when baked than apples.

Chocolate-peanut butter streusel:

3-6 T brown sugar
4 T natural peanut butter
1 T flour
1/2 C semi sweet chocolate chips

Mix streusel ingredients and set aside.  Wash and core 4 apples, using a spoon to scoop out the insides of  the apple, but don't go through the bottom.  Stuff each apple with streusel.  Place in 8x8 glass baking dish with 3 T apple juice.  Bake 30-40 minutes in a 325 degree oven until done.

FYI: Mine baked for 33 minutes but I think they went too long.  They were a little mushy but still delicious.  If you like apple slices with peanut butter and as an added bonus, melted chocolate, you will love this "healthy" dessert, breakfast, and snack.  I had some streusel left over, perfect to mix into vanilla ice cream or use as a topping :)  Overall, this is kid tested and mother approved.  I will certainly be making these again soon.  Great fall activity if you go apple picking too! 

Slightly adapted from: iheartnaptime


No comments:

Post a Comment