Recipe Index

Monday, June 30, 2014

Oatmeal Mondays

Roasted bananas seem to be all the rage right now.  Roasted banana pudding, roasted banana bread, roasted banana ice cream, etc.  Before baking a dessert with these ultra sweet gems, I wanted to taste them first to see what all the fuss was about.

To roast a banana, you place it unpeeled on a baking sheet and bake it for 20-30 minutes in a 350 degree oven.  Mine took about 20 minutes.  You'll know when it's done when the peel turns completely black and it starts leaking its juices.

Like this:



Let it cool a bit and then using a sharp knife, cut down the peel and the banana, along with its juices will fall right out.  It looked a little gross, I must admit but I just added it to a cooked bowl of plain oatmeal and stirred.  The flavor was definitely sweet and it was fun eating a banana in a different way, but I've had organic bananas that were sweeter.  So I think next time I will experiment and see if a roasted organic banana is noticeably sweeter than any other banana I've had in the past.

FYI: Be sure to run some water on your baking sheet right away or the sticky juices will be hard to scrub off! 



No comments:

Post a Comment