Recipe Index

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Southern Cookies to Cherish


Southern tea cakes are a new concept for me.  I've lived in North Carolina for almost 9 years now and can honestly say that Southern cooking is my favorite.  The pulled pork, the corn muffins, the black eyed peas and collard greens, the vinegar based sauces, and don't even get me started on the grits! My mouth is watering just thinking about a good Southern meal.  So when I saw this recipe that highlights a dear Southern dessert, I knew I had to give it a try.  It is my new favorite cookie recipe, hands down.  

Here is why I love these cookies so much.  They taste like chewy little cakes with a slight crisp on the bottom.  They have so much personality and simplicity.  With only a few ingredients, they all come together to form the perfect pillow of perfection.

I completely adore these cookies.  I always have just two cookies, but I make an exception with these. Both nights we've had these for dessert I've downed three.  I know, it sounds crazy but for me, that's saying something.  The vanilla flavor radiates throughout and to guild the lily, I added mini chocolate chips to half the batter.  I think I like them plain better than with chocolate chips but it's a close race.

These would make the ultimate whoopie pie sandwich or black and white cookie, according to my husband. Slather half of a cookie with white frosting and half with chocolate and viola!  Or sandwich two together with ice cream or French vanilla whipped topping.  The possibilities are endless.  I even considered slathering the bottoms with hazelnut spread.  I just love these cookies and could go on and on about them...

FYI: Mine baked for 15 minutes.

Bake them today!

Here is the recipe.  

No comments:

Post a Comment