Recipe Index

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Double Orange Chocolate Buttermilk Loaf

That's a mouthful!  I based this recipe on my favorite quick buttermilk bread, adding my twist to it.  We had an orange in the house, I always have blood orange olive oil, and I was craving chocolate so this loaf was born.  If you like things sweeter, you may want to add a bit more sugar.  When it comes to quick breads, my husband and I prefer them to have a deep, dark chocolate flavor so this fare was just right for us.  You can add chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, chopped banana chips, or dried cherries to the batter.  The possibilities are endless!



Double Orange Chocolate Buttermilk Loaf

1 1/2 C flour
1/2 C cocoa powder
1 1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1 t salt
1 egg
1 C buttermilk
1/2 C sugar
zest of one orange
1/4 C blood orange olive oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a loaf pan.  Mix flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.  In a small bowl, mix sugar and orange zest together to bring out the orange flavor.  Add the rest of the wet ingredients and blend.  Add to dry ingredients and mix until combined.  Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 37 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Allow pan to cool 15 minutes before removing bread and serving.      
 

No comments:

Post a Comment