Recipe Index

Friday, August 7, 2015

Cake Fridays


It is so hot outside so what better way to cool down than with a refreshing, citrus cake!  The combination of lime, lemon, and orange make for a surprisingly tangy, sour bite with the perfect amount of sugary sweetness.

My only complaint with this cake is the texture.  I don't normally bake with cake flour but in this case, the recipe called for it so I used it.  It created a powdery texture that some might be fond of but I prefer either a light, airy cake or a dense, solid pound cake.  It was somewhere in between and we couldn't figure out if we liked it or not!  Overall, the citrus flavors were delightful and this cake made for the perfect summer dessert.

Instead of tequila-lime frosting, I made my all-time favorite frosting but substituted coconut extract for the vanilla extract.

Here is the recipe:

1 stick soft butter
1 block soft cream cheese
1 C powdered sugar
1-2 t coconut extract

Whip in the stand mixer 2-3 minutes until smooth and completely incorporated.  Frost cooled cake anyway you'd like :)

The frosting was my favorite part!  I have never used coconut extract and the smell instantly transforms you to the tropics.  I have since bought lemon extract and I can't wait to make a blueberry lemon cake or a raspberry lemon loaf with a lemony frosting or glaze.  Better get going before the summer is over and citrus is replaced by fall flavors!              



Here is the cake recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment