Recipe Index

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Blueberry-Orange Scones

I had a blast photographing these fruity gems.  Depending on where the blueberries settled in the batter while baking, they all looked unique and one-of-a-kind.  And the aroma coming from the kitchen...
Let's just say these smell and taste equally delicious.  Juicy and refreshing are the flavors, crispy and soft are the textures, quick and light will be your hand motions as you bring multiple scones to your hungry mouth.  I am salivating just thinking about it!    
But I think what I like best about this recipe is that it's healthy!  I know that sounds crazy but for scones, these have very little fat with only 6 T butter and 1 C buttermilk.  Most recipes require multiple sticks of butter and heavy cream.  Also, no reduction in sugar necessary, since the recipe only calls for 2/3 of a cup.  Therefore, you can eat more of them.  That makes my family very happy.     
So preheat your oven early one weekday or weekend morning and surprise yourself or your family with these beautifully dotted gems.   
Blueberry-Orange Scones
Source: My friend Amy

2 3/4 C flour
2/3 C sugar
1 T baking powder
1 t baking soda
3/4 t salt

Combine in large bowl.  Add 6 T cold butter, cut into cubes and crumble into mixture.

Then gently stir in:

1 C buttermilk
1 C blueberries (can use frozen) 
1 t orange peel
1 egg, lightly beaten

Drop batter using an ice cream scoop onto greased baking sheets.  Brush with egg white and 2 T turbinado sugar, divided among the scones.  Bake in a 400 degree oven for 12-15 minutes.   

FYI: Since I used frozen blueberries, I did not brush the tops with egg white.  The frozen blueberries made them wet enough for the sugar to adhere.  My batter produced 16 scones that baked for 12 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment