Recipe Index

Friday, March 4, 2016

Cake Fridays


Goulash and cake to celebrate a milestone birthday

Today, March 4, 2016, my grandmother and dear friend Dorothy Johnson would've turned 100 years old. My dad reminded me of this at our most recent Sunday supper.  I knew I wanted to honor her memory and what better way than to bake her signature dish, goulash and sing, "Happy birthday, dear Dodie!"  With all of my grandparents gone, I am reminded of the importance of celebrating their legacy with each passing year.  I wish with my whole heart and soul that Grandma Dodie made it to her 100th birthday but since she is in Heaven, I will offer up a plate of comforting goulash, along with a delectable piece of cake.  


This chocolate cake is perfect for any celebration, especially a milestone birthday like today.  It's the kind of dessert you can't wait to sink your teeth into again.  I'm already thinking about having it for breakfast tomorrow!  It's the darkest, most irresistible cake I've ever made with a mildly fruity, bittersweet chocolate frosting.  It is unforgettable, just like my Grandma Dodie.    

So to my lifelong pen pal...

In your words, "Let me end this scribbling and get this letter in the mail."  

But in this case, "Let me end this typing and publish this post so all can try this spectacular cake."             

No comments:

Post a Comment